Ours To Protect with John Morley (EP 31)
Ours to Protect is a unique and exciting audio project – a collaboration of local and regional broadcasters from across the country who have come together to tackle climate change, champion climate action, and inform and educate audiences all over Ireland about how they can make a difference.
Today on ‘Ours To Protect’ John Morley talks to Kirsty Moran, owner and founder of Atlantic Scuba Dive, Ireland’s first solar-powered dive centre about ecotourism.
Did you know…
- In May 2022, Atlantic Scuba Dive opened their doors for the first time as Ireland’s first solar-powered dive centre.
- Irish waters are home to a diverse range of marine life, including seals, dolphins, and whales, making ecotourism an important industry.
- Much of Ireland is committed to sustainable tourism practices, ensuring that the country’s natural beauty and cultural richness are preserved for future generations.
Why is it important to support ecotourism?
- Ecotourism helps to conserve Ireland’s precious natural resources, including its stunning landscapes, diverse wildlife, and unique ecosystems.
- Ecotourism plays a vital role in boosting the economies of local communities in Ireland.
- Ecotourism fosters deeper cultural connections between visitors and local communities in Ireland.
What can I do to help support ecotourism in Ireland?
- When planning trips, prioritize accommodations that are certified by Ecotourism Ireland or other reputable organizations.
- By patronizing local restaurants, pubs, and shops, you directly contribute to the economic well-being of the community. Choose establishments that source their ingredients and products from within Ireland.
- Whenever possible, opt for public transportation options, such as buses or trains, to minimize your carbon footprint.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!
Sustainable Travel Ireland
Atlantic Scuba Diving
Green Travel Ireland
For more info go over to galwaybayfm.ie, click on Our to Protect image on home page. You could try out the ‘Ecological Footprint’ calculator and you can take a quick survey.
‘Ours To Protect’ brought to you by Galway Bay fm, the IBI and funded by Coimisiún na Meán with the television licence fee – check out ‘ours to protect.ie for more info.