Ours To Protect with John Morley (EP 30)
Ours to Protect is a unique and exciting audio project – a collaboration of local and regional broadcasters from across the country who have come together to tackle climate change, champion climate action, and inform and educate audiences all over Ireland about how they can make a difference.
Today on ‘Ours To Protect’ John Morley talks to Mark Molloy, Assistant Environmental Awareness Officer Galway County Council about recycling.
Did you know…
- In the Galway County Council Functional Area there is a 2 OR 3 BIN/BAG system, with a 3-bin service incoming for all households within the next three months.
- The most important thing is that waste is segregated properly.
- In terms of recycling, the bin takes all tins, plastic, and paper/cardboard packaging but it must be clean, dry and loose to make it easier to manage.
Why is it important to recycle?
- It helps conserve natural resources like water and energy. For instance, when we recycle plastic bottles, we save energy that would have been used in the production of new plastic.
- When we recycle materials like paper, glass, and metal, we can reduce the need for raw materials. For example, recycling paper helps save trees and conserve forests.
- It reduces pollution and saves energy.
What can I do to help support recycling efforts?
- Make sure to separate your paper, plastic, glass, and metal so they can be properly recycled.
- Try to reduce your consumption of single-use items and reuse items whenever possible.
- Spread the word about the importance of recycling and encourage your friends and family to join in too.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!
For more info go over to galwaybayfm.ie, click on Our to Protect image on home page. You could try out the ‘Ecological Footprint’ calculator and you can take a quick survey.
‘Ours To Protect’ brought to you by Galway Bay fm, the IBI and funded by Coimisiún na Meán with the television licence fee – check out ‘ours to protect.ie for more info.