Ours To Protect with John Morley (EP 19)
Ours to Protect is a unique and exciting audio project – a collaboration of local and regional broadcasters from across the country who have come together to tackle climate change, champion climate action, and inform and educate audiences all over Ireland about how they can make a difference.
Today on ‘Ours To Protect’ John Morley talks to Michael Curran, their Head of Building Services, Energy and Utilities at the University of Galway about their Carbon Pledge.
Did you know…
- University of Galway’s famous Quadrangle has played host to symbolic ton of carbon.
- The giant cube was installed to coincide with Ireland’s second Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Week will took place from September 23, and the wider European Sustainable Development Week which ran from September 18 to October 8
- The installation was designed to help staff and students and the wider University community and visitors to visualise the physical size of 1 tonne of carbon.
- Targets have already published in the University of Galway Climate Action Roadmap 2030 for the institution to cut energy related greenhouse gas emissions by 51% by 2030 (against a baseline of 2016‐2018 average emissions).
- As part of the action plan, University of Galway will hold a sustainability assembly in January 2024 following which proposals will be determined to assist in the journey towards energy use reduction.
Why so the Carbon Pledge so important?
- It shows corporate responsibility and commitment to addressing climate change.
- It can lead to cost savings through energy efficiency measures and resource optimization.
- It enhances brand reputation and attracts environmentally conscious customers.
- It fosters innovation and encourages the development of sustainable business practices.
- It helps companies stay ahead of regulatory changes and adapt to a low-carbon future.
What can I do to help support institutions to achieve their Carbon Pledge?
- Practice energy conservation in the workplace and at home.
- Support companies that prioritize sustainability and eco-friendly practices.
- Opt for greener transportation options, like carpooling or using public transit.
- Choose products and services from companies with lower carbon footprints.
- Advocate for sustainable practices within the company and in the community.
Here’s a few websites if you want to know more!
- University of Galway https://www.universityofgalway.ie/sustainability/sustainabilityreports/
- ie https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/16421-climate-action-plan-2021-securing-our-future/
- National Geographic https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/what-is-a-carbon-footprint-how-to-measure-yours
For more info go over to galwaybayfm.ie, click on Our to Protect image on home page. You could try out the ‘Ecological Footprint’ calculator and you can take a quick survey.
‘Ours To Protect’ brought to you by Galway Bay fm, the IBI and funded by Coimisiún na Meán with the television licence fee – check out ‘ours to protect.ie for more info.