Glorious Galway – Galway 1-12 Mayo 0-12 – Connacht Senior Football Semi-Final 2016

Share story:

For the next few weeks, Galway Bay FM will be looking back at some recent glory days celebrated by the county.

Episode 8 goes back to Saturday, June 18th 2016 and the Connacht Football Semi-Final.

It was the first time that Galway and Mayo clashed in a Saturday evening fixture in McHale Park, Castlebar and the Tribesmen weren’t given any chance.

Indeed, the green and red had won the last five championship meetings between the teams and were also still on course for a sixth consecutive Connacht title.

But Kevin Walsh’s charges, including five debutants, turned the form book on its head in front of 21,000 supporters as Tom Flynn’s goal proved crucial in a shock victory.

Relive a glorious day for Galway football with Galway Bay FM’s commentary team of Ollie Turner, Frank Morris and Barry Cullinane.


For Reaction to Galway’s famous win over Mayo, click HERE


Scorers – Galway: Gary Sice 0-4 (three frees), Tom Flynn 1-0, Eamonn Brannigan 0-3, Paul Conroy 0-2, Shane Walsh 0-1, Johnny Heaney 0-1, Danny Cummins 0-1.

Scorers – Mayo: Cillian O’Connor (0-6, five frees, one ’45), Colm Boyle 0-1, Stephen Coen 0-1, Lee Keegan 0-1, Tom Parsons 0-1, Evan Regan 0-1, Jason Doherty 0-1.

Galway: Bernard Power; Declan Kyne, Eoghan Kerin, David Wynne; Gary O’Donnell, Liam Silke, Gareth Bradshaw; Paul Conroy, Tom Flynn; Gary Sice, Shane Walsh, Johnny Heaney; Eamonn Brannigan, Damien Comer, Danny Cummins.

Subs used: Adrian Varley for Walsh (66 mins), Patrick Sweeney for Cummins (66 mins), Sean Denvir for Heaney (69 mins), Enda Tierney for Flynn (71 mins, black card).

Mayo: Rob Hennelly; Colm Boyle, Kevin Keane, Brendan Harrison; Stephen Coen, Lee Keegan, Paddy Durcan; Aidan O’Shea, Jason Gibbons; Kevin McLoughlin, Cillian O’Connor, Tom Parsons; Evan Regan, Jason Doherty, Keith Higgins.

Subs used: Seamus O’Shea for Gibbons (21 mins), Diarmuid O’Connor for Harrison (59 mins), Donal Vaughan for Keane (59 mins0, Andy Moran for Regan (64 mins), Alan Freeman for Parsons (69 mins).

Referee: Conor Lane (Cork)

Share story: